New to the club? New to climbing? Start here for information on how to get started and how to get involved with the club.
Try it out
Before joining the club, you will probably want to try out this whole climbing lark, to see if you actually like it. No worries! We run a system by which you get 3 free climbing sessions with the club, where you will be able to try out Bouldering and Top-roping indoors at Surrey Sports Park. We also will tutor you on the ways to climb safely and responsibly, and get you on your way to being a fully fledged member. If at the end of this you don't feel like joining, that's totally okay and you won't have to pay anything. If, however, you do wish to join, read on...
Joining the Club
Joining the club is a 2 step process, you will need to purchase the following things:
- Surrey Sports Park Membership
- This varies in price year on year, but the details can be found here.
- Membership to the USMC
- This is the money which goes to the USMC itself. The current price is £20, and it can be paid through the University of Surrey Students Union website, or directly into the USSU bank account (for old farts).
Why Join the Club?
By becoming a member (paying membership) you get all the benefits of being an affiliated BMC member, and there are also some perks from the USMC itself. Please also note that non-members will NOT be able to come on club trips (an insurance thing).
- BMC membership (including free 3rd party insurance when climbing and outdoors).
- 10% off virtually every climbing/outdoors shop.
- 20% off at Peglers Outdoor Shops (www.peglers.com).
- Use of club equipment.
- This is very handy when you start climbing outside, ropes, racks and other gear can run into £1000s
- Various other wonderous things, that you'll find out about!
Learning to Climb
So you're a paid up member now, huh? Cool! You're now ready to learn to climb for real. As a member of the club you will be taught rope skills, and climbing techniques, and how to use all the various gear, so you'll be ready to go crush when we go on any of our regular trips. We'll make sure you know how to handle yourself outdoors and you will be able to try some new and exciting things
The best way to stay up to date with club happenings is by joining the facebook page and the forum, both will be updated with all the info you need to get involved.
Come to the Wednesday and Friday sessions at SSP as these are usually the busiest so you'll get to meet everyone, then definitely join us for a drink or two (or three) afterwards.
Our social secretary will also be organising pub crawls and other socials, so keep your eyes peeled.